Sunday, January 16, 2011

Housepitalities Cabbage Crunch

So, I love Whole Foods.  I love Whole Foods Prepared Foods section even more :)  It's so great in a pinch when I want a quick lunch or a great dinner when I don't feel like cooking or heading to the dreaded drive-thru. 

I love the Cabbage Crunch Salad at Whole Foods, but it's just never quite crunchy enough for me.  So, I decided to whip up a batch last week when I made some Terriyaki Pulled Pork, which was super yummy.  This salad was a great accompaniment and could be served along side something as casual as a burger or as simple and elegant as a roast chicken.  SUPER easy too.  Bring it to your next pot luck :)

Cabbage Crunch ala Housepitalities

Ingredients: (serves 6)

-1 large head of Cabbage, red or white will do
-2 tablespoons Sesame Seeds
-1/2 cup Almond Slivers
-1 tablespoon Dijon or Spicy Brown Mustard
-3/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar
-3/4 cup Vegetable Oil or Olive Oil
-1/2 tablespoon Sugar
-1 or 2 generous pinches of Salt and a few grinds of the Pepper Mill

Directions:

Slice Cabbage in half and then into thin strips.  Toast Sesame Seeds and Almonds for about 5 minutes on medium low heat, do not burn, stir often.  In the bottom of the bowl you're serving or storing the salad in, add the vinegar, sugar, salt and a pepper and mustard.  Whisk in the oil slowly creating an emulsion of sorts.

Add the cabbage, toss and serve. OR, let it sit for a bit in the fridge to take on all of the flavors.  Super tasty!  Has a great crunch.

0 comments:

Post a Comment